- This date seeks to raise awareness of the importance of tourism in the social, cultural, political and economic aspects.
Tourism is widely recognized as a crucial pillar of a country’s development and progress. Therefore, seeking to celebrate its importance, every September 27 on World Tourism Day.
This date arose in 1980, when the World Tourism Organization (UNWTO), one of the special agencies of the United Nations, decided to establish this holiday to highlight sustainable and universally responsible tourism.
It should be noted that the chosen day represents two important moments of the year: the end of the high tourist season for the population of the northern hemisphere, and the beginning of the same season for those who live in the southern hemisphere.
In addition, it was decided that the holiday be celebrated on September 27 each year to coincide with the date on which the UNWTO Statutes were approved, which was the same day but in 1970.
World Tourism Day aims to raise awareness in the international community about the importance of tourism in the social, cultural, political and economic aspects.
Every year, the United Nations comes up with a theme or slogan to celebrate World Tourism Day. This 2022, the campaign is called “Rethink tourism”.
This theme seeks to inspire debate on the rethinking of the sector and its contribution to development, including matters such as education and employment, as well as its impact on the planet and the opportunities to grow in a more sustainable way.
What are the most visited countries in the world
1. France (89 million visitors): France is the most visited country in the world. For more than a decade, it has been noted for the many splendid palaces, castles and cathedrals that can be found. The climate is pleasant, the culture and the exotic French cuisine and wine; make the country a very popular tourist destination. It has many tourist attractions such as the world famous Louvre Museum, the Eiffel Tower, the Palace of Versailles, Mont Saint-Michel, Rocamador and the villages of Alcs, among many other charming villages.
2. Spain (83.5 million visitors): Spain stands out on this list thanks to the fact that it achieves a break from the stress of life. The most popular tourist destinations in Spain include the Generalife and the Alhambra Gardens, the Great Mosque of Cordoba, also known as the Mezquita, the Paseo del Artes and the Prado art museums. Places like Barcelona, Madrid, Ibiza or Seville are some of the most popular in the country. It has 47 UNESCO World Heritage Sites, numerous Atlantic and Mediterranean beaches, and a host of festivals that bring people together from all over the world.
3. United States (79.3 million visitors): The United States has always been a popular tourist destination. Travelers come to see natural wonders, cities, historic sites, and entertainment venues. Americans seek out similar attractions, as well as entertainment and vacation areas. Miami, New York or Los Angeles are some of its most visited places. In addition, it has ski resorts, sandy beaches, food belonging to most cultures in the world and designer clothes in cosmopolitan cities.
4. China (65.7 million visitors): China not only receives more visitors than most of the world, but its own inhabitants represent 10% of all world travelers. Tourists from all over come here to experience its rich culture and heritage. The Great Wall of China alone attracts 10 million visitors to the site. Some others are: Forbidden City, Great Wall, Shanghai French Concession, Xi’an Terracotta Warriors, Li River, Le Shan Great Buddha.
5. Italy (64.5 million visitors): Italy is a place full of history, culture and beauty. Tourism is so big in this country that long lines at places like St. Paul’s Cathedral and the Colosseum in Rome are almost guaranteed, with many even being booked in advance. At the same time, Italian cuisine has made its way around the world.
6. Turkey (51.2 million visitors): Tourism in Turkey is mainly focused on the various historical sites and resorts along the Aegean and Mediterranean coasts. Turkey’s traditional and cultural heritage can be explored by visiting sites such as Aya Sophia, also known as Hagia Sophia, Cappadocia, and the Blue Mosque. It also offers tourists activities such as hiking, mountain climbing, sailing and hot air balloon rides.
7. Mexico (45.0 million visitors): Mexico has a significant number of UNESCO World Heritage Sites. These include ancient ruins, colonial cities, and nature reserves, as well as many public and private works of modern architecture. In addition, it has the Mexican Caribbean that is very visited by tourists from all over. In addition, it is the second most visited country in America after the United States.
8. Thailand (39.8 million visitors): The country in recent years has begun to receive a large number of tourists thanks to its beautiful beaches, spectacular views and several impressive waterfalls. In addition, it has natural beauty, archaeological sites to visit and significant tourist places that represent the colorful history and culture of the country. In addition, it has delicious dishes, friendly people, good weather and cheap prices.
9. Germany (39.6 million visitors): Germany has a stable economy and a tourism infrastructure to match. Those who wish to see or experience art should head to the country’s metropolitan areas, such as Munich, Frankfurt or Hamburg. The beers, the Black Forest and of course the Oktoberfest. According to surveys, the top three reasons why tourists visit this country are German culture, outdoor activities, and the German countryside and cities.
10. United Kingdom (39.4 million visitors): The tenth country in this list is the United Kingdom. From the lush green hills of Wales, the mountainous regions of Scotland and the famous Cliffs of Moher to the fast-paced city of London, these are some of the places that this country can visit and offer to all types of tourists.