The World Health Organization ( WHO ) reported this Wednesday that the Covid-19 virus remains an international emergency, that is, we are still in a pandemic despite the fact that last week the lowest number of deaths since its inception was recorded. .
Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, director of the WHO , explained that some countries still have serious spikes in Covid-19 cases , which puts pressure on hospitals, and that is a reason to maintain global alert.
“This week, the IHR Covid-19 Emergency Committee met and unanimously agreed that the pandemic remains a public health emergency,” he said during a conference on Wednesday, so “it is not yet time to lower our guard.
Tedros indicated that the WHO will continue to work so that the tools against Covid-19 are distributed equitably to strengthen health systems as contemplated in the WHO 2022 Strategic Preparedness and Response Plan.
The World Health Organization said closing the vaccine equity gap is the best way to boost population immunity and protect it against future waves of Covid-19.
He added that in the last two years the WHO has been updated to refine its recommendations based on the latest science, so diagnoses are also improving and becoming more accessible.
WHO prepares for a second pandemic
Tedros said that just as the WHO responds to the current Covid-19 pandemic , it is already preparing for a second health emergency.
“I have spoken before about the need for a generational agreement that ignites the investments, collaboration and commitment we need to protect our planet and our people.”
Therefore, he assured that a new pandemic agreement is the best collective defense against known viruses and “the next disease X”.
Melissa Galbraith is the World News reporter for Globe Live Media. She covers all the major events happening around the World. From Europe to Americas, from Asia to Antarctica, Melissa covers it all. Never miss another Major World Event by bookmarking her author page right here.