The declaration of public health emergency due to the coronavirus, which began in March 2020, will end at the federal level and, therefore, the measures that have been implemented will also end.

Recipients of food aid via the well-known stamps or with Calfresh EBT cards will receive less funds from March 2023.

“Emergency benefits have been provided monthly to all CalFresh-eligible households since March 2020. CalFresh emergency benefits are ending as a new 2023 federal law ends the granting of CalFresh emergency assistance to households in response to COVID-19,” CalFresh reported on its official website. website.

Here are some of the answers to frequently asked questions that have been published by CalFresh:

What are CalFresh emergency deposits?

These deposits were “temporary increases to regular CalFresh amounts. As of March 2020, an increase of at least $95 per month in CalFresh benefits has been filed. The aid was granted because “Congress authorized emergency deposits to help meet food needs during the COVID-19 pandemic,” according to CalFresh.

Why are CalFresh emergency deposits ending?

“CalFresh emergency deposits will end in February 2023. The Consolidated Appropriations Act 2023 ends the issuance of CalFresh emergency deposits to households in response to the COVID-19 pandemic,” they reported. .

When will I see less money in CalFresh benefits?

According to CalFresh, “The last CalFresh emergency deposit amount will be deposited in March 2023. You will receive less CalFresh starting in April 2023. The reduction in benefits may be significant for some families.”

However, they recall that “your regular CalFresh amount will not change, but you will not receive the additional amount due to the pandemic as emergency deposits end. The amount deposited to your EBT card in the first ten days of the month is your regular amount of CalFresh.

How do I get the right benefits?

Make sure you get all your CalFresh benefits by keeping your information up to date on:

  • How many people live in your home
  • Income
  • housing costs
  • Medical expenses (only if you are over 60 or have a disability)
  • Child care or dependent care expenses

To update your information, you can contact your local county social services office by calling 1-877-847-3663 or visiting a local office located at

If you need help buying food, remember that you can go to food banks located in different cities. To find out which one is closest, visit CalFoodBanks.

Categorized in: