The first data points to a structural failure in the support beams as a cause of the collapse of two subway cars in Mexico City, after the fall of a bridge, according to the authorities. The tragedy so far 25 dead and more than 70 wounded.

Mayor Claudia Sheinbaum urged the population to avoid speculation and promised a thorough and independent investigation. Authorities expected to present a first preliminary report on the accident on Friday.

Line 12 is the longest and newest in Mexico City, but it has had a succession of problems since it began operating in 2012. Its route reaches the most rural area to the south of the city. Some 220,000 passengers use it daily.


The outrage of the people has already found several targets, such as the director of the metro, Florencia Serranía. Sheinbaum said he had not received reports of problems on Line 12 that suggested the possibility of a failure like the one on Monday night.

Serranía said Tuesday that the line received a “very rigorous” daily inspection. It was also revised in June 2020 after a strong earthquake that did not leave significant damage to the city, he added.

A 2017 municipal report, however, identified significant damage to a section of the line after the 7.1 magnitude earthquake that year.

Mexican families are devastated by the deaths of those who traveled on the train that collapsed.

The Secretary of Foreign Relations, Marcelo Ebrard, who was mayor of Mexico City between 2006 and 2012, when the line was built, also received criticism.

Widely regarded as the possible successor to President Andrés Manuel López Obrador, Ebrard said those responsible should be identified, adding that he would collaborate with authorities.

However, it could take months to determine what caused the accident and identify a culprit. The families of many victims face immediate needs caused by the loss of their heads of household.

So far, 24 deaths and more than 70 injuries have been reported after the collapse of a bridge.

Gisela Rioja spent Monday night and Tuesday morning scouring city hospitals in search of information about her husband, Miguel Ángel Espinosa Flores, who worked in a department store a few stops from the scene of the accident.

He found him Tuesday in a morgue in the Iztapalapa neighborhood. He described him as hardworking, responsible and happy. She and her two children depended on her income.

“I want justice for my husband because not with a simple forgiveness he will return to us,” she said. “For me it was a love, for me it was everything. It hurts a lot, a lot, a lot because of how it ended. ”

Jazive Pérez has the information.

Luisa Martínez sat waiting Tuesday afternoon outside the municipal offices of Iztapalapa for the body of her niece’s husband, Carlos Pineda, a 38-year-old dentist, to be delivered. Pineda leaves behind a wife and two children, ages 7 and 13.

″He was the one who supported his family. Now they are left without sustenance,” Martínez said. “They have to compensate us now. I don’t want it in a year or in two years like all bureaucratic procedures”.

Categorized in: