The Pentagon confirmed that there was a single suicide bomber in the Kabul bombing that left more than 170 dead

The Pentagon confirmed that there was a single suicide bomber in the Kabul bombing that left more than 170 dead

The Pentagon said on Friday that there was a single explosion outside the Kabul airport, and not two as reported on Thursday, after the attack that killed than 170 people, including 13 American soldiers.

The Deputy Director of Logistics of the United States General Staff, General Hank Taylorsaid at a press conference that they finally don’t believe there would be a second outburst Thursday “in or near” the Hotel Baron, near the airport.

Therefore, there was only one suicide bomber.” Said Taylor, adding that they are still not sure how this misinformation was made, but that it possibly occurred in the midst of “confusion during dynamic events”.

View of a column of smoke at Hamid Karzai International Airport in Kabul, Afghanistan, on August 26, 2021.
View of a column of smoke at Hamid Karzai International Airport in Kabul, Afghanistan, on August 26, 2021.

On Thursday, the head of the US Central Command (CENTCOM), General Kenneth McKenzie, reported shortly after the attack that there had been two explosions carried out by two suicide bombers of the terrorist group Islamic State (ISIS) with explosives vests.

According to McKenzie, a blast took place at one of the Kabul airport entrances, the so-called Abbey Gate, and the other near the Baron Hotel. McKenzie noted that the blasts were followed by an armed attack by ISIS members in the area.

The ISIS branch in Afghanistan has claimed responsibility for Thursday’s attack.

According to an official Afghan source, at least 170 people were killed and another 200 wounded in the attack on Thursday.

Joe Biden made a minute of silence for the victims.
Joe Biden made a minute of silence for the victims.

Joe Biden said the US will respond “with force” to the attack

The president of United States, Joe Biden, he promised on Thursday “Chase”To the perpetrators of the suicide bombings in Kabul. “For those who carried out this attack, as well as for anyone who wishes America harm, know this: we will not forgive. We will not forget. We will chase them and make them pay“, said.

The United States will respond “with force and precision,” he said, after the terrorist group ISIS-K claimed responsibility for the deadly attack.

In a solemn address to the nation from the White House, Biden called the downed US military “heroes” and said the Kabul evacuation mission will continue until next Tuesday, when the final withdrawal of US military troops is expected.

We will not be deterred by terrorists. We will not allow them to stop our mission. We will continue the evacuation”, assured the Democratic president.

Biden also reconfirmed that he will not move that August 31 deadline to complete the exit. Afghanistan after two decades of war. “We will not be deterred by terrorists. We will not allow them to stop our mission. We will continue the evacuation“. Biden said in a televised speech.

Ben Oakley
Ben Oakley is the guy you can really trust when it comes to Mainstream News. Whether it is something happening at the Wall Street of New York City or inside the White House in Washington, D.C., no one can cover mainstream news like Ben. Get a daily dose of Trustworthy News by Ben Oakley, only at Globe Live Media.