City of Los Angeles officials have asked for a delay in the eviction of 60 residents displaced by an LAPD bomb blast.
The City of Los Angeles has canceled an eviction deadline for nearly 60 South Los Angeles residents still living in temporary housing after they were displaced by a botched detonation by the LAPD bomb squad nearly 100 years ago. ‘a year and a half.
Residents have been staying at a downtown hotel since the incident.
José Becerra has called the hotel home since his South Los Angeles home was destroyed in the blast.
He says he knows it’s temporary, but was surprised to learn that the city wanted them gone by the end of the month. His lawyer said public pressure forced the city to change its mind.
“Oh, this is going to be great,” Becerra said.
Becerra breathes relieved. He and his wife were already packing after learning that the city wanted them to vacate the temporary accommodation by the end of March.
Los Angeles Police Chief Michel Moore announced changes to department policy on Tuesday following a federal report that found LAPD bomb squad technicians grossly underestimated the quantity of explosive materials placed in a containment truck.
Our sister network, NBC4, informed the Becerras that the delay was canceled and that they would have more time.
“This is wonderful news,” Becerra said.
Becerra’s attorney said the city felt pressure after comments made by Councilman Curren Price last week to the LA Times that the 57 displaced residents “had a great time living in the hotel without pay rent for several months, they want it to last as long as possible.
On Monday, Price said he made a mistake in making the comment, telling NBC4 in a statement, “We will work with families until they find suitable housing or accept resettlement funds. The city of Los Angeles won’t let them down.”
The residents have been in temporary accommodation at the corporate hotel since the summer 2021 explosion following a botched LAPD bomb squad operation that destroyed their home and damaged or destroyed 16 other homes.
The Becerras had rented the garage in the house for 20 years and the city wouldn’t return it to the house because they didn’t have a permit.
Becerra said he accepted the city’s offer to settle down and find a place to rent with the city’s help, but they still need more time.
“We need a really good solution to this problem,” Becerra said.
Becerra’s attorney said he believed the issue would be resolved two years after the explosion.
The community should have a meeting this Wednesday. NBC4 has also been told that the city will also meet this week to create a plan moving forward.