NEW YORK – Sacred Heart of Jesus Parish in the Bronx is preparing to support its community of approximately 1,800 families of mostly Latino parishioners during Holy Week and Easter. Catholic parishes in the New York area are also preparing for similar times.
Father José Cruz has led this parish, located near Yankee Stadium, for more than two years and has a vibrant community with a particular growth of African Catholics in recent times. According to Father Cruz, the parish has integrated programs to welcome new members into the community, and for several months some of them have been training to participate in the live processions that will be dramatized on Good Friday.
The priest expressed his enthusiasm for the upcoming events, noting that parishioners have been actively involved in their organization and management. “Our community has shown great creativity and dedication in preparing for Holy Week,” he added. These same preparations are underway in parishes serving all kinds of communities and people.
As an example of other Catholic communities, the Parroquia del Padre Cruz will be the center of many post-pandemic family gatherings, showing the creativity and dedication of parishioners in organizing live dramatized processions, vigils, visits monuments until midnight and concerts with monks. and sacred music.
A list of special religious observance days, masses and events at Father Cruz Parish in the Bronx and other locations April 2-9 includes:
- Palm Sunday, April 2Although times may vary from parish to parish, at the Parish of the Sacred Heart of Jesus del Padre Cruz, a mass in Spanish will be celebrated at 9:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. Palms, participants will receive blessed palms to commemorate the triumphal entry of Jesus into Jerusalem. To learn more about your local parish’s activities, visit https://archny.org/parish-finder/
- On Monday, April 3, The dioceses of New York, Brooklyn and Rockville Center will offer the Sacrament of Confession in all their parishes from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. and from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. No appointment is required to receive this sacrament. Holy Week.
- tuesday 4 aprilAt 4:00 p.m., the Chrism Mass at St. Patrick’s Cathedral will be presided over by His Eminence Cardinal Timothy Dolan. Among those present at the ceremony will be auxiliary bishops and all clergy serving in the archdiocese, as well as delegations. This Mass is a special occasion during Holy Week in which oils used to anoint the sick, newly baptized and newly ordained priests are blessed.
- On Wednesday, April 5, at 7 p.m., the Parish of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, located at 1253 Avenue Shakespeare in the Bronx, NY, will host a talk on “Family Lent” that will be open to the public. The conference will be led by Father Rafael Villa, dean of the Faculty of Theology of the Archdiocese of Guadalajara in Mexico. Please check the hours of operation of the nearest parish to your county or neighborhood at the following link https://archny.org/parish-finder/
- On Thursday, April 6, at 7 p.m., the Parish of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, located at 1253 Avenue Shakespeare in the Bronx, NY, will celebrate the Mass of the Lord’s Supper and the washing of the feet. This religious tradition, which consists in preparing the altar of rest, is deeply rooted in Latin America. In addition to this tradition, the faithful are invited to visit the monuments installed in various religious centers, reviving a Latin American cultural tradition in which they plan to visit seven churches until midnight on Maundy Thursday. Please check the hours of operation of the nearest parish to your county or neighborhood at the following link https://archny.org/parish-finder/
- friday april 7the parish of the Sacred Heart of Jesus will offer a silent prayer for the faithful from 7:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Please check the hours of the parish closest to your county or neighborhood at the following link https://archny.org/parish-researcher/
- At 12:00 p.m. On the same day, members of the community will dramatize the Passion of Christ through the streets of the Bronx in a procession expected to draw nearly 1,000 worshippers. The procession will leave from the parish of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in 1253 Avenue Shakespeare and he will cross several streets of this county.
See the procession route below.
Meeting point: Sacred Heart of Jesus Parish (1253 Shakespeare Avenue, The Bronx, NY) at 11:30 a.m. • Towards 168th Street to Nelson Avenue • From Nelson Avenue to 164th Street • Woodycrest and St. 164 • From 164th street at the Sacred Parish of the Heart of Jesus
- friday april 7 at 6:30 p.m., the reading of the Passion of Christ and the veneration of the Holy Cross will take place at the Parish of the Sacred Heart of Jesus (1253 Shakespeare Avenue, The Bronx, NY).
- Saturday April 8, from 8:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m., the Easter Vigil will be held at Sacred Heart of Jesus Parish (1253 Shakespeare Avenue, The Bronx, NY). During this ceremony, the fire will be blessed and the psalms will be sung. Twelve adults will receive the sacraments of baptism, first communion and confirmation. The Easter Proclamation, a song of salvation, will be performed by a large choir with Spanish guitars.
- Also on Saturday April 8, The Old Saint Patrick’s Basilica, located in Soho, will welcome around forty young adults who will receive the sacraments of Baptism, First Communion and Confirmation.
- On Easter Sunday, April 9, masses will resume their usual schedule.