The development of Battlefront III began shortly after the release of Battlefront II in 2005. The development team of Free radical design has worked closely with LucasArts to create a game that’s even more exciting and fun than its predecessor. Unfortunately, the game never made it to our shelves and was eventually canceled in 2008.
Star Wars Battlefront III was canceled “two meters from the finish line”
- Now, 15 years later, some secrets of its controversial cancellation are beginning to come to light.
- Former Star Wars Battlefront 3 developer Michael Barclayposted a tweet on his personal account on Twitter who set the networks on fire in response to a colleague asking him about games that didn’t see the light of day.
- The tweet reads: “I think enough time has passed to say that Star Wars Battlefront III was going to be really amazing and the fact that will be canceled two meters from the finish line it is an absolute crime. The players don’t know what they were robbed from.”
Star Wars: Battlefront II – Standard Edition
- Use the Force to take on iconic characters like Kylo Ren, Darth Maul or Han Solo
- Become Iden, an elite Imperial Special Forces soldier, and experience a gripping single-player story spanning 30 years.
No clear reason was ever given as to why Battlefront III was ultimately cancelled., but it is likely that a combination of factors contributed to the tap being turned off in his time. Financial issues, development issues, competition, and creative disagreements may also have played a part in the decision to cancel the game, but what’s clear is that fans of George Lucas’ Galaxy Far Far Away we are left without one of the franchise’s most promising games.