Video game streaming has a very bright future. A future that will perhaps be played out outside Apple if the Cupertino company does not relax its policy in this area.
Apple explains to whoever will listen to have relaxed its policy on the App Store to allow video game streaming services to be present there but unfortunately the restrictions are still far too unrealistic, the operation is very difficult, if this is not impossible, for platforms that would like to have their application officially on the App Store.
Fortunately, it is still very easy to play.
This means that gamers on iOS are currently more or less left behind when it comes to video game streaming. However, this does not mean that it is impossible to take advantage of these services.
Indeed, if you plan to subscribe to Google Stadia but you have an iPhone or an iPad and you would like to take advantage of the service of the Mountain View firm on one or the other of these devices, know that it is is possible, and that it is quite easy after all.
Best of all, you won’t have to jailbreak your device, hack anything, or download some obscure app. Indeed, Google has found a workaround via Safari. Here are the operations to follow to benefit from it:
How to play Stadia games on an iOS device
- On your iPhone or iPad, launch the Safari browser.
- Go to stadia.com and enter your Stadia account credentials.
- You will be greeted with a message letting you know that you can play the Stadia games on your browser, tap “Got it”.
- Then tap on Safari’s “Share” button and select “Add to Home screen”. This step is optional, but later it will be easier and faster to launch Stadia rather than having to navigate to the Stadia website every time you want to play.
Set up the Stadia Controller with your iOS device
- Download and install the Stadia app if you haven’t already.
- Launch the app.
- Press and hold the Stadia button on your controller until you feel it vibrate twice.
- Tap the Controller icon at the top of the screen.
- Enter the pairing link by pressing the corresponding buttons as shown on the screen.
Play with controllers other than Stadia
Google Stadia supports the use of non-official controllers. Just make sure your controller is Bluetooth enabled to pair it with your iPhone or iPad.
For console controllers, currently only Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox One controllers are supported. For other brands, you will have to check directly with the manufacturer to find out if it is compatible with iOS devices.
Rachel Maga is a technology journalist currently working at Globe Live Media agency. She has been in the Technology Journalism field for over 5 years now. Her life’s biggest milestone is the inside tour of Tesla Industries, which was gifted to her by the legend Elon Musk himself.