Would you like to test the latest version of Apple’s operating system, iOS 16.4, before the release of the public version? We already said it: barring surprises, in two or three weeks we will already have iOS 16.4 among us. But if you are not one of those who are content to wait and would like to analyze all the new features before anyone else, here is a very quick explanation so you can enjoy the betas in the safest way.
Its installation is official and in return you will be able to check new features such as support for Safari push notifications, new emojis and a handful of features related to the Books app or many new possibilities with ‘Shortcuts’.
How to install iOS 16.4 right now
If you’ve read a complaint or two on networks, it’s important to remember that iOS public betas don’t usually report serious problems with the system. However, it is known that they sometimes result in somewhat erratic behavior, such as freezes and a certain drain on the battery that results in a lower autonomy. Not in vain we are talking about a beta version and not final, which still lacks some adjustments to be fully debugged and supervised for its general implementation.
In summary, before completing the steps we indicate below, it is advisable to briefly make a backup, either by saving all system data in iCloud, or in a local copy, through iTunes via a Mac. You can even save the data on another iPhone and then do a dump, if you have this option.
That said, now yes, let’s go through the step by step so you can have iOS 16.4 right now installed on your iPhone:
- Inside the iPhone on which you want to install iOS 16.4 enter this link.
- Scroll down to the section where it says ‘Sign up’ or ‘Sign up’.
- Sign up for the Apple Beta Program with your Apple ID and your email address linked to the service.
- Now tap on the ‘iOS’ tab. This is the first of all, as the others refer to the beta program for other devices.
- Tap on Enroll your iOS device (or ‘enroll’).
- Almost there. Tap on the ‘Download profile’ button, which means you will download a small package of signed data. Right after that you will be redirected to the necessary settings.
- Install the newly downloaded file by tapping on it.
- Now reboot the device. You will only have to wait a few seconds and as soon as you turn on the device you will know that it has been successfully paired.
- Now, with your iPhone turned on, unlock it and follow the path ‘Settings’ > ‘General’ to check which iOS version you have installed.
- Now just go to the ‘Software Update’ section and check for updates. In just a few seconds you will see that there is a new version to download.
- Tap on ‘Download’ this new update. As usual, a progress bar will indicate that it is downloading. Once it finishes, it will indicate that you can install it. If this is not the case, your iPhone has less than 50% battery and you will need to charge it.
- Once confirmed, your iPhone will turn off, the Apple logo will appear with the black wallpaper and the package will begin to install.
- When the system restarts you will be able to check that iOS 16.4 is installed correctly. Enjoy.
Rachel Maga is a technology journalist currently working at Globe Live Media agency. She has been in the Technology Journalism field for over 5 years now. Her life’s biggest milestone is the inside tour of Tesla Industries, which was gifted to her by the legend Elon Musk himself.