Eight school-aged patients were treated Tuesday for sudden illness at Sun Valley Magnet School after possibly ingesting marijuana edibles.

The Los Angeles Fire Department responded, around 1:20 p.m., to the school at 7330 N. Bakman Ave., and assessed the patients, described as boys and girls between the ages of 12 and 16.

Five were taken to hospital, while the other three were assessed and returned to their parents.

Fire officials said the illnesses appeared to be “linked to the ingestion of marijuana-based chewing gum.”

According to the LAFD, the eight patients were discovered on the school campus, but “confirmation of how each can be affiliated with the campus remains a matter for (Los Angeles Unified School District) officials.”

Categorized in: