At Globe Live Media we explain what you should do if you lose your EBT card with your SNAP benefits in the US, as well as who you should call to report it so that your money does not run the risk of being lost

Benefits from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) are usually transferred to an EBT card (which stands for Electronic Benefits Transfer), which can be used like a debit card with which you can buy certain foods at chains and authorized retailers.

But what happens if you lose your EBT card and therefore your SNAP benefits? Whether you misplaced it or it was stolen, it’s important to know what to do in that situation.

At Globe Live Media we explain what you should do.

What should I do if I lose my EBT card with my US SNAP benefits?

In the event that your EBT card is lost or stolen, you should contact customer service immediately, this is the recommendation of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB).

This recommendation also works if your EBT card PIN has been stolen or if you see unauthorized charges on your statements.

According to the CFPB, federal law, which protects most government benefit cards from unauthorized charges and erroneous transactions, does not protect EBT cards for proven need. Therefore, in the event that you lose your EBT card, you should immediately call your service provider to safeguard your benefits.

Because SNAP benefits are distributed from state authorities, there is no single number you should call to report that you have lost your EBT card.

To find out which number you should contact, you just have to enter this web portal of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) and review the contact telephone number corresponding to your entity.

This applies to both SNAP benefits, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) benefits, and Women, Infants and Children (WIC) benefits.

Categorized in: