North Korea carried out a series of artillery fires over the weekend, Seoul’s military said, days after leader Kim Jong Un vowed to use “power to power” to defend the sovereignty of the country.
The South Korean military detected “various flight paths” which are understood as shots of artillery North Korea, the Joint Chiefs of Staff said Corea of South on Sunday night.
assumptions shots were made between 08:07 and 11:03 local (23:07 – 02:03 GMT), according to the General Staff, emphasizing that seoul maintains a firm military preparation in collaboration with its ally the United States.
Pyongyang’s official news agency, which usually reports on successful weapons tests 24 hours later of In fact, it has not published information about the shots of Sunday, nor from other recent missile launches.
Corea of Norte it has carried out a series of sanctions-breaking weapons tests this year, including firing an intercontinental ballistic missile at full range for the first time since 2017.
The South Korean national security presidential office held a meeting to discuss the shots of artillery on Sunday night, and reaffirmed the position of seoul of “answer calmly and harshly” to Pyongyang’s provocations, according to the office.
Without providing its findings on what happened at the moment, the presidential office added that it was shots of type “traditional” with a relatively low altitude and short range.
This latest barrage of shots occurs after warnings seoul and Washington that the Kim regime is preparing to carry out what would be its seventh nuclear test. US Assistant Secretary of State Wendy Sherman said this would provoke a response “fast and forceful”.
Last week, Kim announced plans to upgrade military might. of country during a major three-day political conference that ended on Friday.
South Korean Defense Minister Lee Jong-sup said on Sunday that seoul “will strengthen” its defensive capabilities, as well as its security cooperation with Washington and Tokyo, to counter Pyongyang’s nuclear threat.