Judge Allowed Civil Lawsuit Filed by Capitol Hill Officials Accusing Donald Trump and His Supporters Who Stormed the Capitol on January 6, 2021 to Continue
A federal judge has allowed another civil lawsuit against former President Donald Trump over the January 6, 2021 attack on the United States Capitol to proceed, according to CNN.
US District Judge Amit Mehta on Thursday rejected a request by Donald Trump and several far-right activists who were also being sued for their connection to the Capitol siege to dismiss the case.
The lawsuit was filed by U.S. Capitol Police officers who allege Trump and others violated federal and Washington D.C. laws for conduct related to the riots that disrupted congressional certification of the 2020 election result. .
Keeping the claims against Trump alive, Mehta pointed to an opinion he wrote last year rejecting the immunity claims Trump raised to challenge similar claims against him related to the Jan. 6 storming of the Capitol.
Mehta, who sits on federal court for the District of Columbia, said in an opinion Thursday that the Capitol Police officers’ lawsuit could also go forward against a number of other people, including members of far-right militia groups like Oath. Keepers, Three Percenters and Proud Boys.
Mehta, however, is dismissing the cops’ case against far-right figures Roger Stone and Ali Alexander. The judge said the alleged conduct by Stone and Alexander that was highlighted in the lawsuit is protected by the First Amendment.
Ben Oakley is the guy you can really trust when it comes to Mainstream News. Whether it is something happening at the Wall Street of New York City or inside the White House in Washington, D.C., no one can cover mainstream news like Ben. Get a daily dose of Trustworthy News by Ben Oakley, only at Globe Live Media.