NEW YORK — The death of a Long Island resident has been linked to a bacterium found in raw shellfish or seawater that is also attributed to two deaths in Connecticut, New York Gov. Kathy Hochul said Wednesday.

Vibrio vulnificus bacteria was identified in a Suffolk County resident who died recently, Hochul said.

“Although rare, vibrio bacteria unfortunately made its way to this region and can be extraordinarily dangerous,” Hochul said in a news release.

Precautions to avoid the potentially deadly bacteria include protecting open wounds from seawater and, for those with compromised immune systems, avoiding raw or undercooked seafood, he said.

The death in Suffolk County is being investigated to determine whether the bacteria was found in New York waters or elsewhere, the governor said, adding that health care providers should consider Vibrio vulnificus when caring for patients with serious wound infections or sepsis.

Health officials say anyone can contract vibriosis, the disease caused by the bacteria, but people with liver disease, cancer or a weakened immune system, or people taking medications to lower stomach acid levels may be more susceptible to infection or more likely to develop complications.

The two people who died in Connecticut were among three in the state known to be infected with Vibrio vulnificus bacteria this year, Connecticut health officials said. All were between the ages of 60 and 80, officials said.

Categorized in: