Are you looking to travel to the United States? This is the VISA you can apply for

If you are thinking of traveling to the United States and you still do not have your VISA, this information is of interest to you. The fact is that the U.S. authorities grant an exemption in the payment of this procedure to certain people. Check if you could be one of them.

The VISA is a document that makes it legal for you to enter or stay in a country of which you are not a citizen or that does not have free transit. In the United States, the most requested is the tourist visa, which costs 185 dollars or 3,162.48 pesos.

Depending on the purpose of your trip, the type of VISA you should apply for depends on the purpose of your trip. These are:

  • B: Visitor’s Visa for Business, Tourism, Animal Treatment.
  • C-1: Transit through the United States
  • D: Crew members (on an airplane or ship)
  • F: Students, academics
  • I: Media and journalists
  • TN/TD: Professionals related to T-MEC
  • T: Victim of human trafficking
  • U: Victim of criminal activity

However, there is a way to avoid the so-called processing fee, although according to the U.S. Embassy, those who wish to benefit from the waiver of this fee must meet some specific requirements.

Which U.S. VISA is exempt from payment?

This is the type J VISA, for those persons (up to 38 years of age) who will travel to the United States as part of a student or cultural exchange or for those who travel for charitable activities. They may stay in the country for a maximum of 18 months.

This visa allows:

  • Pass and obtain a U.S. driver’s license
  • Obtain a social security number
  • Travel to and from the country during the validity of the visa.

How to obtain a type J VISA?

  • Find a sponsor: an organization accredited by the U.S. government to help applicants obtain a J1 visa.
  • Fill out the DS 2019 form: the document serves as an internship agreement between the applicant and the company. It includes all information related to the internship (start date, end date, assignment, number of hours worked, amount of remuneration, etc.).
  • Contact the U.S. Embassy to compile and submit the dossier.
  • Interview, in English, with a U.S. government official.

Categorized in: