With the passing of the years, felines lose their abilities, so they will require help from their guardians. In The Zoocial Network we tell you what you can do.
Felines can change over the years, so the most important functions in their organism can become slower. When they reach 10 years of age, their senses deteriorate, especially sight, hearing and smell, according to Purina, a company specialized in food and animal welfare.
Different attitudes can also be observed, such as decreased appetite, which leads them to lose weight and make their shoulders and spine protrude. Signs that, if they become worrisome, should be discussed with veterinarians.
Therefore, they are more prone to contract or trigger diseases. Such is the case of kidney disease and hyperthyroidism.
Other symptoms of aging are memory loss, disorientation and they may even do their basic needs outside the litter box. Regarding behaviors, they may move away from their guardians, avoid cuddling or walk around the house meowing, even if they have no health problems.
In the face of these signs that appear in old age, the best thing to do is to offer the furry ones a dose of love and attention. But you can also take into account the following factors that lead your cat to peace of mind, according to Advance Affinity, a company that uses experts to create concentrates and study animals.
1. Rest: this element is important throughout the life of a feline, however, in old age it takes more relevance. That is why they require well-conditioned places to replenish energy, so it is ideal to avoid that the cat lies down or sleeps in cold and humid places.
2. Accommodate their spaces: the ability is lost with time and as a consequence, muscular pains may appear with routine movements. The best idea is to use a low litter tray and put it in an easily accessible place, as well as their food and water.
3. Moderate exercise: Although the years are heavy, it does not mean that exercise should stop. Physical activity is something that should be encouraged from time to time and can be done through play. The above, in order to avoid overweight, which could aggravate any other disease.
4. Do not modify the feline’s routine: the most adored treasure of cats is their routine and its value increases proportionally with the years. For this reason, it is necessary to respect it and let the pet itself set the rhythm it wants to follow in its daily life.
5. Hygiene: the caregiver can check weekly the care of his ears and clean them whenever he considers it necessary. In the same way, you should be aware of filing his nails or brushing his fur every day, before the cat eats it.
6. Food: it is the most important aspect to have a good quality of life. Therefore, you must have a quality concentrate that provides all the necessary nutrients to take care of health, increase defenses and strengthen the humanitarian system.
7. Veterinary revision: visiting the doctors at least twice a year, will give clues of the care that should be taken with the pet at home to preserve its comfort and well-being. In this way, early diagnosis of diseases can also be made, in order to trace routes of action by the hand of specialists that are effective for the animal.