The 17-day-old baby who died in the arms of his 15-year-old mother after entering the U.S.

The 17-day-old baby who died in the arms of his 15-year-old mother after entering the U.S.

A newborn was pronounced dead shortly after he entered USA in her mother’s arms after crossing the Rio Grande border in Texas, the Customs and Border Protection Office (CBP) reported on Tuesday.

The incident occurred on November 20 when a group of five migrants, including the boy’s mother – a minor from Honduras – turned themselves in to police officers. United States Border Patrol close to the McAllen-Hidalgo port of entry.

The CBP explained in a statement that a border agent began processing the group around 7.15 p.m. (local time) and that “None of the migrants requested medical attention the moment they approached.”

Upon completing the admission process of the migrants, a second group of at least 10 foreigners turned themselves in, so the agent began to process them, while the first five awaited their transfer to the facilities of CBP.

Approximately 20 minutes later, while processing the second group, the agent observed the Honduran minor unwrapping her baby from a blanket and trying to wake him up.

The agent asked the young migrant if something was wrong, and she replied that her baby had a cough.

The agent continued to process the second group when he observed that the Honduran mother was still checking the baby and was talking to another woman in her group who also wanted to check the newborn.

The agent again questioned the immigrant about the baby’s health and she replied that she was checking to see if the newborn was breathing, so the agent came over to check it.

The boy, what he was born in Mexico 17 days ago, had a normal temperature. However, it did not respond when touched.

“The baby’s fists were clenched and his nails were discolored,” detailed the CBP.

The 15-year-old mother reported that the baby had been coughing and had not eaten all day.

Upon realizing the emergency, the agent requested medical help but there were no nearby services because it was an unpopulated area with difficult access, so it was decided to transfer the mother and baby to a store on the road where they met the firefighters. of the city of McAllen and the emergency services, who tried to resuscitate the infant.

The boy was taken to Rio Grande Regional Hospital in McAllen, Texas, where he was pronounced dead. around 8.21 at night (local time).

The Hidalgo County Justice of the Peace and CBP’s Office of Professional Responsibility are reviewing the incident. The Office of the Inspector General of the Department of Homeland Security was also notified.

Melissa Galbraith
Melissa Galbraith is the World News reporter for Globe Live Media. She covers all the major events happening around the World. From Europe to Americas, from Asia to Antarctica, Melissa covers it all. Never miss another Major World Event by bookmarking her author page right here.