South Africa was mourning the death of 22 youths, some as young as 13, at a tavern in East London on Sunday.
National Police Minister Bheki Cele told reporters when he visited the scene that he could not yet say what happened at the scene, but said some of the victims were as young as 13. Samples of the bodies will be taken to toxicology laboratories in Cape Town for further analysis, the minister said.
South African President Cyril Ramaphosa expressed his condolences to the families of the victims.
“As the president awaits more information about the incident, his thoughts are with the families who have lost their children, as well as the families who are awaiting confirmation of how their children may have been affected,” a presidential statement said.
The president hopes that the law will take its course after the investigations into the tragedy, the statement added.
The cause of the incident is currently under investigation, Eastern Cape Police spokesman Brigadier Thembinkosi Kinana previously told Citizen Free Press. Many people flocked to the site trying to find their loved ones. Police Minister Cel traveled to the scene at Scenery Park, where he told a large crowd: “The call is to parents to make sure their children stay well, the call is to the community to say no we can allow our children to die.” His impromptu visit was broadcast live on television, according to Reuters.
Melissa Galbraith is the World News reporter for Globe Live Media. She covers all the major events happening around the World. From Europe to Americas, from Asia to Antarctica, Melissa covers it all. Never miss another Major World Event by bookmarking her author page right here.
For tips or news submission: [email protected]