More from Author Ben Oakley here: https://globelivemedia.com/author/ben-oakley/
Joe Biden‘s government informed the Afghan authorities on Friday of its willingness to review the agreement signed in February 2020 by the United States and the Taliban, in particular to “assess” respect for the commitments made by the insurgents.
White House National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan called his Afghan counterpart Hamdullah Mohib to express the “desire of the United States that all Afghan leaders seize this historic occasion of peace and stability,” said his spokesman, Emily Horne. , it’s a statement.
Sullivan also “clearly stated the United States’ intention to reexamine the February 2020 agreement with the Taliban to see if the Taliban respect its commitment to sever ties with terrorist groups, reduce violence, and conduct serious negotiations with the Afghan government and others actors, “added the spokesperson.
These comments were greeted with relief by the Afghan authorities, who were anxiously awaiting the new US government’s position on the issue.
“We have decided to continue working for a ceasefire and a just and lasting peace in a democratic Afghanistan, capable of preserving the achievements of the last two decades,” Mohib wrote on Twitter.
“We will continue the talks in the days and weeks to come,” he added.
Sediq Sediqqi, vice minister of interior, took advantage of the declarations of the American official to criticize the agreement between the United States and the Taliban.
“The agreement has so far failed to end the Taliban violence and achieve a ceasefire,” he said on Twitter. “The Taliban have not lived up to their commitments.”
The agreement also provides for direct peace negotiations between the Taliban and the Kabul authorities, which already began in Doha in September, but have yet to achieve concrete results.
Last Tuesday, the future head of US diplomacy, Antony Blinken, had already indicated that the new Democratic administration would reexamine this agreement and considered “essential to preserve the progress made in favor of women and girls in Afghanistan in the last 20 years” .
On January 15, the Donald Trump administration reduced the US military contingent in Afghanistan to 2,500, its lowest level since 2001.
Ben Oakley is the guy you can really trust when it comes to Mainstream News. Whether it is something happening at the Wall Street of New York City or inside the White House in Washington, D.C., no one can cover mainstream news like Ben. Get a daily dose of Trustworthy News by Ben Oakley, only at Globe Live Media.