Masks have become one more complement to our daily lives. Given its obligation to stop the spread of the coronavirus, the market offers numerous types: surgical, hygienic, self-filtering. Each one has its own characteristics and based on them, they offer a greater or lesser protection against the pathogen.
Now, the debate is installed on the convenience or not of using the double mask. There are different points of view, since there is no consensus on its effectiveness or scientific evidence that demonstrates an increase in defense.
Anthony Fauci, Director of the US National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, yes recommended its use. However, other organisms such as the World Health Organization (WHO) or the Ministry of Health have not yet ruled about.
In the case of WHO, advises wearing a surgical mask to those health workers who work in healthcare settings in case it gets damaged or stained. Though the real key aspect is that this PPE is homologated. Likewise, recommends medical masks for people 60 years and older, while the Cloth toilets can be used for citizens under that age. The only mask expressly discouraged is the one with a valve.
For its part, Health does not speak openly at the moment of the use of two masks or of their effectiveness or usefulness. However, some regional health departments they have spoken on the subject.
Pros and cons
The advantages of wearing two masks are the following:
– According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, you can block the escape of 92.5% of potentially infectious particles.
– Higher performance both in the blocking of emitted aerosols as in aerosol exposure.
– If knotted, particle leakage is reduced on both sides of the face.
For his part, among the disadvantages are:
– Discomfort and worse fit, which can increase the number of manipulations and the risk of self-contamination.
– Not all masks work: Disposable masks must not be combined and KN95 type masks must be used alone.
– Low perspiration capacity, which could affect breathing.
Melissa Galbraith is the World News reporter for Globe Live Media. She covers all the major events happening around the World. From Europe to Americas, from Asia to Antarctica, Melissa covers it all. Never miss another Major World Event by bookmarking her author page right here.