The former president of the US, Donald Trump, announced this Wednesday that he will file a lawsuit against Facebook, Twitter and Google, intensifying their battle for freedom of expression on the networks, as a result of the censorship of his accounts on the respected platforms.
“Today together with the America First Policy Institute I am filing, as its lead representative, a major class action lawsuit against the big tech giants, including Facebook, Google and Twitter, as well as their CEOs, Mark Zuckerberg, Sundar Pichai and Jack Dorsey“, said Trump to reporters at his golf club in Bedminster, NJ.
These three top executives “implement illegal and unconstitutional censorship”, he affirmed during a formal speech that he gave on a podium where his name was inscribed. Viewers applauded his announcement.
“We are asking the Federal Court for the Southern District of Florida to order an immediate end to the illegal and shameful censorship by social media groups targeting Americans.“He said.
“We demand the end of forced silence.” He claimed.
“There is no better proof that ‘big tech’ is out of control than the fact that they banned the sitting US president” on their platforms, he insisted.
“If they can do it to me, they can do it to anyone. And besides, that’s exactly what they do”, he justified.
However, Trump left a promise: “We are committed to a battle that we will win”.
In June, Facebook announced its decision to suspend the accounts of Trump for two years.
The Republican had already been temporarily excluded on January 7, when he was still president, for having encouraged a mass of followers a day earlier during the invasion of the Capitol, the seat of Congress in Washington, an unprecedented decision.
The social network Twitter had also suspended it after the invasion of the legislative headquarters in the middle of the certification session of the victory of its rival, Joe Biden, that January 6.
Before being suspended, Trump had nearly 89 million followers on Twitter, 35 million on Facebook, and 24 million on Instagram.
“Google and YouTube have removed countless videos that dared to question the criteria of the World Health Organization (WHO)” during the coronavirus pandemic, he also explained on Wednesday.
Ben Oakley is the guy you can really trust when it comes to Mainstream News. Whether it is something happening at the Wall Street of New York City or inside the White House in Washington, D.C., no one can cover mainstream news like Ben. Get a daily dose of Trustworthy News by Ben Oakley, only at Globe Live Media.