Colombian ex-military prisoners in Haiti accepted their responsibility in the assassination of the president of that country, Jovenel Moise, in an action perpetrated on July 7 at his residence in Port-au-Prince in which his wife, Martine, was injured, as reported on Wednesday Snail News.
That television channel indicated that the statements are in 15 hours of audio recordings to which it had access and in which four of those involved narrate their version of what happened that day and in the hours following the assassination.
Those speaking in the audios are identified as retired Army Captain Germán Rivera García, retired Second Lieutenant Jheyner Carmona, retired Sergeant Ángel Yarce Sierra and retired professional soldier Naiser Franco Castañeda.
According to the accounts obtained by Caracol Noticias, Joseph Felix Badio, a former official of the Haitian Ministry of Justice, was the one who gave Rivera the order for the operation that ended with the murder of Moise.
In the audio, who introduces himself as Rivera, whom the other ex-soldiers called “Mike,” says: “(Badio) said that everyone had to be killed. They are all the police, the president’s security, everyone who is inside the house, who had to be killed”.
Carmona said for his part that the order that “Mike” gave them was that “they had to go in and kill everyone, they had to kill all the policemen, rather, if there was even a pet, kill the pet, that they couldn’t have no witnesses”.
The retired sergeant added: “They sold us the idea that that was the arrest warrant, that it was an arrest warrant, but ‘Mike’ told us it was time to peel (kill) the president.”
The information from Caracol Noticias indicates that ex-soldier Víctor Pineda Cardona was the one who shot President Moise, as Franco Castañeda testified.
“They say it was Pineda. They listened to himself. He is extremely worried, that boy has no peace”, is heard saying who identifies as Franco in the audio.
On the other hand, Caracol Noticias indicated that the assault on the residence of Moses It lasted about 30 minutes and after assassinating the president, the mercenaries looked for money and valuables.
Before the operation, the report says, they had been advised that Moses had between 18 and 45 million dollars at home, and in the room they found two suitcases and three boxes apparently loaded with bills.
The group loaded the money into vehicles and following the established plan they headed to the presidential palace because there the new president of Haiti was going to take office, whom they were supposed to protect.
The withdrawal to the presidential palace was coordinated by the retired Army sergeant Duberney Capador, who was killed in the events, as were Miguel Guillermo Garzón and Mauricio Javier Romero.
“Capador took us to the Palace, because in the Palace they were going to protect us, and the Police were there and they were going to protect us”, narrated who claims to be Yarce.
He explained that on the way they found some vehicles crossed on the road for which they had to stop and get off.
Later, the Haitian Police blocked their way with trucks and tanks, before which the group took refuge in a house from which they were evicted with tear gas.
According to investigations, the assassination of Moise was committed by a command of 26 mercenaries who broke into the presidential residence without encountering resistance from the security forces guarding the president.
According to the latest police data, 44 people are detained, including 12 members of that institution, as well as 18 Colombians, mostly retired military personnel, and six Haitians, three of them nationalized from the United States.
Melissa Galbraith is the World News reporter for Globe Live Media. She covers all the major events happening around the World. From Europe to Americas, from Asia to Antarctica, Melissa covers it all. Never miss another Major World Event by bookmarking her author page right here.