U.S. Deports 95-year-old Nazi Concentration Camp Guard to Germany

U.S. Deports 95-year-old Nazi Concentration Camp Guard to Germany

A 95-year-old Nazi concentration camp guard who lived in U.S, was deported this Saturday to Germany, reported the country’s Justice Department.

Friedrich Karl Berger, who lived in Tennessee and had German citizenship, was handed over for having been an armed guard at the concentration camp Neuengamme in 1945, the department noted.

Berger was deported for taking part in “acts of persecution promoted by the Nazis”Informed the judicial authorities.

Berger’s deportation demonstrates the commitment of the Department of Justice and authorities to ensure that the United States is not a safe place for those who participated in Nazi crimes against humanity and other human rights abuses.” Said Acting Attorney General Monty Wilkinson.

An immigration judge ordered the deportation of Berger, who lived in U.S since 1959, in March of last year.

Berger was stationed near Meppen, in Germany, during World War II, where prisoners were held in “atrocious“Conditions and they worked”to death”Judge Rebecca Holt said when making her decision.

Berger admitted at trial that he prevented prisoners from escaping from the Neuengamme concentration camp.

He also said that he did not know that the prisoners were mistreated and that some died. He assured that he was following orders.

Berger flew to Germany on Saturday and arrived in Frankfurt for questioning.

So far it is not clear if Berger You will be tried in your country of origin. The German Justice dropped the proceedings against Berger in December 2020, citing insufficient evidence.

Melissa Galbraith
Melissa Galbraith is the World News reporter for Globe Live Media. She covers all the major events happening around the World. From Europe to Americas, from Asia to Antarctica, Melissa covers it all. Never miss another Major World Event by bookmarking her author page right here.