New lawsuit filed against Trump for the assault on the Capitol on January 6

New lawsuit filed against Trump for the assault on the Capitol on January 6

Last month he had already been sued, along with his lawyer Rudolph Giuliani, by the Democrat Bernie Thompson (Photo: El Universo)

Democratic congressman Eric Swalwell filed a civil lawsuit against former President Donald Trump on Friday, holding him responsible for the assault on the Capitol on January 6, which left an unfortunate death toll of five.

Swalwell filed his lawsuit in federal court in Washington, also against Donald Trump Jr., attorney Rudy Giuliani and Republican lawmaker Mo Brooks of Alabama, charging them with actions that led to the violent riot.

The California lawmaker had served as a prosecutor in Trump’s second impeachment trial. Now, he is suing these four public figures for allegedly violating the so-called Ku Klux Klan Law, by conspiring to impede the constitutional duties of Congress.

In addition, he charges them with negligence, incitement to riot and inflicting emotional distress. Swalwell believes that the actions of these four personalities “made it clear that they represent a risk of inciting political violence in the future.”

“As a direct and foreseeable consequence of the defendants ‘false and incendiary accusations of fraud and theft, and in direct response to the defendants’ express calls for violence at the rally, a violent mob attacked the United States Capitol” , contains the submitted document.

The investigation that is being carried out on the assault on the Capitol, has generated more than 300 arrests so far.

“Many participants in the attack have since revealed that they were acting according to what they believed were the orders of former President Trump in the service of their country,” the lawsuit said.

“Those in the know said that, during this moment of national horror, Trump was ‘delighted’ and was ‘taken aback that other people on his team weren’t as excited as he was.’ Others described Trump as ‘almost excited’ by the violence displayed, “the text added.

With this lawsuit, the payment of compensatory damages is sought, as well as a statement that the defendants violated the law. There is also a requirement that seven days advance written notice of any public event related to elections in Washington is required from now on.

Last month, Democratic Rep. Bernie Thompson, who chairs the National Security Commission, filed a lawsuit against Trump and his attorney Rudolph Giuliani, charging them with conspiracy to incite the assault on the Capitol.

“The insurrection was the result of a carefully orchestrated plan by Trump, Giuliani and extremist groups such as Oath Keepers and Proud Boys, who share the common goal of using intimidation, harassment and threats to stop Electoral College certification,” they stated. the attorneys who filed that lawsuit.

Melissa Galbraith
Melissa Galbraith is the World News reporter for Globe Live Media. She covers all the major events happening around the World. From Europe to Americas, from Asia to Antarctica, Melissa covers it all. Never miss another Major World Event by bookmarking her author page right here.