The unprecedented winter storms that hit Texas have caused very cold temperatures and widespread power outages across much of the state.
In that sense, the president of the United States, Joe Biden, declared a state of emergency. The measure makes people eligible for federal assistance. Still, the need for help is immediate, as many struggle to find shelter, food and warmth in these dangerous cold conditions. You can donate to any of the organizations on this list by clicking this link.
Organizations to help the storm in Texas
- The Salvation Army provides shelter, food and other necessities to those affected throughout Texas.
- The American Red Cross supports at least 35 warming centers with cots and blankets across the state.
- In Austin, the Urban League from the area began the #LoveThyNeighborTX campaign to raise funds to pay for hotel rooms, food, water, clothing and other basic needs of communities in unsafe housing.
- The small local business Free Lunch is delivering home cooked meals, blankets, hand warmers and hygiene kits to residents of Esperanza Community, a state licensed shelter / camp in the city.
- The foundation Other Ones It is also providing resistance kits for the residents of the camp. The kits include basic necessities for the homeless.
- In the Dallas area, organizations Austin Street Center, OurCalling, The Stewpot, Union Gospel Mission Y Oak Lawn United Methodist Church They are raising funds to help pay for temporary shelter and rapid covid-19 tests for those in need.
- Caritas of Austin it also helps those in unsafe housing in the Austin area. You can support their work by making a monetary donation or ordering items from their Amazon wish list to be shipped directly to the center.
- Austin Pets Alive! works to keep Texas pets warm and safe during extreme cold conditions. The group needs heating pads, polystyrene coolers, dog beds, heating lamps, and monetary donations.
Impact Your World will continue to update this list as more organizations respond.