Black youth's death in police arrest sparks Minnesota protests

Black youth’s death in police arrest sparks Minnesota protests

A crowd of protesters gathered in a Minnesota town where the family of a 20-year-old man said he had been shot by police before returning to his car to try to flee, though he crashed several more blocks. there. Daunte Wright was later pronounced dead, according to the family.

The event triggered protests in Brooklyn Center until the wee hours of the morning on Monday. Minneapolis was already in suspense over the trial of the first of four police officers implicated in George Floyd’s death. Brooklyn Center is a city of about 30,000 people located on the northwestern border of Minneapolis.

Minnesota Governor Tim Waltz said on Twitter that he was praying for the Wright family “as our state mourns another life of a black man taken by security forces.”

Police did not initially identify Wright or reveal his race, but protesters gathered near the scene waved Black Lives Matter flags. Others marched peacefully with their hands up. On a street was written in colored chalk: “Justice for Daunte Wright.”


Brooklyn Center police said in a statement that officers had detained a person shortly before 2 p.m. Sunday. After determining that the driver had an outstanding warrant, the police tried to arrest him. The driver returned to the vehicle and fled by car. An agent fired at the vehicle, hitting the driver. Police said the car had traveled several blocks before colliding with another vehicle.

Police said the county coroner’s office would release the person’s name after conducting a preliminary autopsy and notifying the family. A passenger in the vehicle suffered non-life-threatening injuries during the crash.

Sgt Jody Stiger told the Minneapolis, Minnesota court on Wednesday.

Katie Wright, Deunte’s mother, met with loved ones near the scene and asked that her son’s body be removed from the street, according to the Star Tribune newspaper. She said her son had called her when they had stopped him and that she had heard an altercation before the call was cut off. When he called again, his son’s girlfriend told him that Daunte had been shot.

Carolyn Hanson, who lives near the crash site, told the newspaper that she had seen officers remove the man from the car and try to revive him. Hanson said a female passenger who got out of the vehicle was covered in blood.


The protesters gathered shortly thereafter. Some jumped on patrol cars and confronted the officers. Others marched to the local police station building, where rocks and other objects were thrown at officers, Minnesota Department of Public Safety Commissioner John Harrington told a news conference. Almost all the protesters had dispersed by 1:15 am on Monday, he said.

About 20 businesses had been robbed at the local Shingle Creek shopping center, Harrington added. Security agencies were coordinating to control the crisis and the National Guard had been deployed, he added.

Brooklyn Center Mayor Mike Elliott had announced a city curfew until 6 a.m. Monday. “We want to make sure that everyone is safe. Please be safe and go home, ”he tweeted.

Local police said their officers carry body cameras and that they believed the cameras in the patrol cars were also activated during the incident. The department said it had asked the Bureau of Criminal Detention to investigate.

Harrington said members of the National Guard would be deployed in and around Brooklyn Center.

Melissa Galbraith
Melissa Galbraith is the World News reporter for Globe Live Media. She covers all the major events happening around the World. From Europe to Americas, from Asia to Antarctica, Melissa covers it all. Never miss another Major World Event by bookmarking her author page right here.